Would you like to learn more about our lakes, rivers, streams and wetlands? Do you love freshwater? How about swimming or fishing or Babcock Dairy ice cream?
If your answer is yes to any of these questions, then mark your calendars for our summer Open Houses!
Hasler Lab Open House – Madison – Friday, June 21st from 2 to 6pm
Trout Lake Station Open House – Minocqua/Boulder Junction – Friday, August 2nd – 1-5pm
Each summer we pick a Friday afternoon to open the doors to our lab so that anyone interested can come learn about the world-class research going on right here in Wisconsin waters.
The events are free and open to the public and offer an opportunity for guests of all ages a chance to:
- Ask aquatic scientists about the waters of Wisconsin and the world.
- Meet some of the plants and animals living in our lakes.
- Hunt for aquatic insects and get an up-close look at them under our microscopes.
- Get a hands-on introduction to the marvelous diversity of Wisconsin’s aquatic plants.
- Take a ride on our research boat and try using some limnological tools to take samples.*
- Enjoy free Babcock Dairy ice cream.**
- Learn a little more about Wisconsin’s freshwater ecosystems.
Visitors can stop at several stations featuring current research, lake science demonstrations and examples of all sorts of fishes, insects, plants and plankton living in our lakes.
The event is free and open (rain or shine) to the public. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon for kids, parents and grandparents alike. There will even be a chance to meet Wisconsin’s most famous mascot – Bucky Badger!
Hasler Lab is located at the start of the Lakeshore Nature path at 680 N. Park St. Parking is available at the State Street Campus Parking Garage – 415 N. Lake Street – or some limited public parking is available under Helen C. White library – 600 N. Park St. NOTE: there is no public parking available in our small lot next to the lab.
Trout Lake Station is located at 10810 Hwy N. (between Hwy 51 and Hwy M) north of Minocqua and south of Boulder Junction.
Questions? E-mail hinterthuer (at) wisc (dot) edu.
*Boat rides limited and tickets for each outing available on a first-come, first-served basis.
**Ice cream is free until we run out!